Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Natural and Sustainable Beekeeping (or more correctly stated, hive stewardship)

I jumped down the beekeeping rabbit hole when I registered for a beekeeping course at the Rodale Institute on a whim (gotta contemplate my "whims" more sometime, as they have played a huge role in my life...) And so I was introduced to Meme Thomas and the Thomas Hybrid Hive. So many things to write. To keep it brief, I'll say I learned it is vitally important that bees have access to water from the hive at all times and that propolis is important for holistic bee care. Also, don't use smoke when inspecting the hive- it stresses the bees unnecessarily, given their intricate smell-receptors and causes them to gorge on honey to prepare to leave the hive (thinking it is actually on fire). This stress lowers their immune response and reduces the honey resources they need to survive. I'm a very novice beekeeper at this point, but have never used smoke and have hardly been stung.

1 comment: